Sunday, March 01, 2009

Handels-Clan Arrives

March 1, 2009 - On Friday morning Sarah and I packed a small bag and headed up to LA. I was working off a wicked hangover from the night before when UT took me out to the shed a.k.a the Barnacle after the Lakers game (local bar in Hermosa). Since we were going to be staying at the new Hyatt hotel on Sunset called the Andaz I thought it was appropriate to get my car washed. Doesn't the Saab look amazing when it is clean? It's a sports wagon!!!

The problem with a clean car is that all the dents, paint chips, and scratches are visible. Lets just say my car took a BEATING on this road trip. I wish I had a roof rack and better shoes (rims) for the car.
Sarah's parents got into LA around 6pm and met us at the hotel. Mark and Megan drove up from Hermosa to join us for dinner and stay the night with us in LA. We got reservations at the Ivy in West Hollywood and ended up having a fabulous dinner. There were no stars seen at the Ivy worth mentioning but when we got out of the cab the head of the restaurants security did yell and announce to anyone who was listening that Paris Hilton was coming and that they needed to boost security. What this girl does to deserve her so called fame is beyond me and frankly is a complete joke. She never showed up to the Ivy anyway so the whole thing was hubbub worthless.


After dinner the Udis's took us out on the town for a LA night along Sunset. We jumped a cab over to Hotel Marmont, very famous in the LA world both past and current, only to be denied at the Cafe and bar entrance. We made our way into the main hotel lobby for a few drinks but the whole seen was pretty lame. I am not one to get all caught up in the "LA" scene and the place didn't serve Coors Lights. We made out way over to another bar called Saddleranch closer to the Andaz Hotel and had a much better time there. There is a mechanical bull in this bar which made for pretty good entertainment.

There was a large group of very overweight black girls in the bar all who wanted to ride the bull. I took about 5 or 6 pictures of the group but most came out blurry. Lucky for me the following pictures showed the unintentional comedy that we stumbled into, Stoop you would have been in heaven.

A few random observations I have of LA and Southern California that I have been meaning to share with the group:
1. SoCal (LA - San Diego) has the best drivers I have encountered on the trip 2. People drive REALLY fast here (85 mph +) in the left lane and have NO problem passing you in the right lane 3. No one picks up after their dogs here so watch your step 4. The restaurants in LA area are unbelievable 5. There are a lot of really nice cars in LA of which no one owns, they rent them or "borrow" them for the day 6. NO ONE WORKS HERE 7. The traffic is way worse than you would expect.
Hope all are well.

No comments:

Post a Comment